Sunday, February 26, 2012

Hotter Than a (Sgt.) Pepper Sprout

Yes, the title is incredibly dumb.

This weekend marks the birthdays of some pretty amazing people: Pierre-Auguste Renoir, George Harrison, Johnny Cash, Jack Handey (yes, he is a real person), Victor Hugo, and Christopher Marlowe.

And so, in honor...

“If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is ‘God is crying’. And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is ‘Probably because of something you did.” ― Jack Handey

“To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kinda scary. I've wondered where this started, and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad.” ― Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

“If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is...and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.” ― Jack Handey

“To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" you can say, "Sorry, got these sacks.” ― Jack Handey

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no,' I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.” ― Jack Handey

“There should be a detective show called "Johnny Monkey," because every week you could have a guy say "I ain't gonna get caught by no MONKEY," but then he would, and I don't think I'd ever get tired of that.” ― Jack Handey

“If there were two guys named Hambone and Flippy, which one would you think liked dolphins more? I bet you'd say Flippy, wouldn't you?

But you would be wrong. It's Hambone.” ― Jack Handey

Deep Thoughts webpage.
***
I'm not gonna lie, I've never read Hugo's classic, Les Miserables. The stage adaptation, however, is one of my favorite musicals.


For all of you Taylor Swift fans (i.e. Adrienne Turner), I'm sorry to report that she is no longer going to play Eponine in the soon-to-be released movie.
***
Because I like Brandi Carlile more than Johnny Cash...

***
Saving the best for last...tomorrow we celebrate the wonderful Terry Staley!

No comments:

Post a Comment