Saturday, October 2, 2010

God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise

Oh, Amazon's good ol' "If you like..." and "More items for you"...

Ray LaMontagne's God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise and Mumford & Sons's Sigh No More. Haven't even opened yet - will give a review next week. And by the way, I still really love actually buying CDs.
I adore the Made From Scratch cover.
_______________________________________________________
A weekend project...
I found two of these in "the plant" (Papa's Turner Farm Sausage building) and decided they might look nice on my front porch. Word of Advice: Decide how much Krylon Blue Ocean Breeze you think you will need. Buy twice that much.

________________________________________________________
An excerpt from Bill Ellis's essay, "History Is Always Personal" which can be found in the October issue of Kentucky Monthly...

"More frightening than the lack of historical knowledge is the loss of a sense of irony. We need another public intellectual like Reinhold Niebuhr, the author of The Irony of American History, who explained to a post-World War II, Cold War-era America that in opposing totalitarianism (or organized terrorism today) we must not lose sight of the frailties of our own humanity. We are fallible human beings in a fallible world. Nothing will ever be perfect, but it is the quest to make this world better that makes us human, humane and noble.

Unfortunately, a sense of irony has been replaced by a cult of bitterness in public discourse. It is not ironic to cult of bitterness conservatives that the 'War on Terror' continues to produce terrorists. It is not ironic to cult of bitterness liberals that a well-meaning law cannot change society for the better overnight.

History is personal for you and me. To be fully engaged public citizens, we must cultivate opinions based on a working knowledge of history."

5 comments:

  1. Random things:
    --Grilled cheese variation: cinnamon raisin bread (like Pepperidge Farm with the swirl in it), thinly sliced granny smith apples, provolone or muenster cheese, lots of butter, of course.
    --I, too, love the "If you like . . ." section of Amazon. It's the reason I have stacks of books I haven't had time to read yet. There's nothing better than Amazon-2-day-free-shipping. Gotta love it. Made from Scratch looks great.
    --Loved the Bill Ellis essay also-- lots of good points to underline (yes, I do this. And turn down page corners) Also in that October issue is an ad for Ky Farm Bureau Roadside Farm Stands with a photo by Kara Keeton (no byline). I think she does some work for them. The photo is of her little boy Jake Robert and Kyna's daughter Kalie picking an apple. Cool, eh?
    --Guess what, dear friend? Fall is here! I tried your apples w/mustard and honey sauce with a side of oven roasted green beans and it was so good we're having it again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, hello friend.
    -Oh, I like the cinnamon raisin idea (AND, I'm glad you wrote this out first...don't think I have ever spelled raisin correctly on first try)
    -I've actually been surprised so far. I thought I would enjoy Made from Scratch more (and I do in fact like it), but I'm REALLY enjoying Radical Homemakers - I appreciate the way scholarly analysis is so fluidly woven into an enjoyable story. It's a smart, but not pretentious, take on how consumerism can reinforce AND contradict social expectations.
    -I went back and found Kara's picture. How cute! And yes, quite cool:)!
    -Glad you enjoyed the recipe! If you haven't tried the butternut squash and sweet potato bisque yet, I highly recommend it.

    Hope you're having a wonderful year. If you have any spare time, I would love for you to do another PB entry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy got in around 11 last night (spent the weekend in Wisconsin for a football game). He brought back a sampling of cheeses, one of which is a Muenster Walnut. I shall buy the raisin bread today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Liza,
    Your blog is a wonderfully textured, evocative & literate window into life in your neck of the woods -- and by extrapolation in many such "necks of the woods," past & present.
    I moved this spring from Cincy back "home" to northeast OH.
    Finished the book "Shopclass as Soulcraft" recently. Even at my age it prompts the question what do you want to do with your life.
    Cheers to you.
    Tom Cooper tcoop2@roadrunner.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom! Hello!
    I have no idea how you might have stumbled across Pillow Book, but thank you so much for reading and taking the time to comment. Many changes for me since I talked with you on the plane from San Francisco...I also moved back to my hometown and have just found it to be the most fulfilling decision. I am grateful for each day I get to spend with my family and in a place where I feel settled; I am the director of my hometown public library - spending "work" days around people who love books is pretty neat; I've changed directions with the dissertation (and do plan to finish it at some point), but I have enjoyed taking time away and writing things like what you find on Pillow Book.

    And, cheers, my friend, to you too!
    I hope you find yourself a little closer to the answer each day.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete