Sunday, July 31, 2011

On Friday, a tourist called CCPL the "local Cheers bar." I love it.

Tomorrow will be my one year anniversary with the Cumberland County Public Library.

So, in essence, tomorrow I celebrate...

- one year serving in the most fulfilling job I've ever had.
- one year of waking up without a single "I can't go to work today" thought. Sure, there have been (and will continue to be) days when I would have rather lounged around the house, but there honestly has never been a morning I've dreaded my job.
- one year of the most laughter I've ever had in a work setting.
- one year of interesting introductions and moments of reacquaintance.
- one year of continual surprise...at how some people apparently don't see the numbers on the DVDs:)
- one year of the occasional biting of the tongue, but more so than not, of intriguing conversation.
- one year of fiction author tutorials; I've got it now, Terry...Beverly Lewis = bonnets and wagons!
- one year of Fancy Nancy parties, homemade recorders, and Tucker-assisted Story Hours.
- one year of sarcasm-laden, but always in good-fun, Talk Around Towns, newspaper articles, and Facebook updates.
- one year of gingerbread houses, dessert bake-offs, and Minit Mart fountain drinks (Barbara and Cathy - half ice, half drink and usually a 22 oz; Terry - Diet Coke, 32 oz.; Vickie - Mt. Dew and usually a 20 oz. bottle; Janet and Shirley - they're crazy, they usually drink water).
- one year of speakers and book fairs and orchestras.
- one year with the best co-workers I can imagine and the most interestingly diverse patrons any small town has ever produced.
- one year in a position my Dad was proud to see me in and one in which my Mom supports with her attendance, cooking skills, and charming personality at each event, activity, and program.
- one year of being inspired.

Some of my favorite moments...



















_______________________________________________________
Last Thursday, we were fortunate to have Kentucky native/author/NPR commentator, Georgia Green Stamper, join us for an evening of discussion, essay excerpts, and absolutely delicious food. She was delightful - approachable, entertaining, and well-prepared - and her most recent publication, You Can Go Anywhere From the Crossroads of the World, is now available in our library. Here are some of my favorite opening lines from this essay collection:

"This is the way Daddy always told the story so I guess it happened that way. If it didn't it could have, and after seventy-five years of countless re-tellings, it is now the truth."

"I was born into a sprawling, indigenous to Kentucky, two-pronged clan, and each side of the family believes in reunions. We believe in the Constitution of the United States, too, but we would probably find something good to say about an anarchist if he were faithful at showing up at our annual potluck."

"There is a Hell, he assured me, in case I had any doubt. He had been there and back on a train. Then, like the author of a Fromm's Tour Guidebook, he proceeded to describe the place to me, so that I would know what to expect should I, too, ever travel there. I was about twelve and hadn't had time, I figured, to do much that would put me on the road to damnation."

"By the time I entered first grade, I knew all there was to know about make believe, and understood that fairy tales were not true. That was the same year, however, that I met Buck, our little school's custodian, and I was never afterward quite so sure of the line between truth and fiction."

"I haven't read the best-selling book about the five people you meet in Heaven. I haven't read it because I don't like the title. To be honest, I'm expecting at least half the Kentuckians who ever lived to come out to meet me at the Pearly Gates."

"I guess I'm tacky as all get out, and maybe shallow to boot, but I just love the trappings of the Christmas season."

No comments:

Post a Comment