Friday, May 21, 2010

Walk A Few Feet...Maybe Tastee Freeze Will Fry Up Your Cheese

Gilda Radner once said "Some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity..."

"Delicious ambiguity" might be the most intriguing two-word phrase ever uttered. I want to talk about it (well, the entire quote really) on Monday, but thought you all might want to toss it around this weekend.
***
I have a suggestion for those of you who live in or near Cumberland County: One weekday between 8 and 5 or on a Saturday between 8 and 4, stop in Kountry Kitchen Foods on Hwy 90 in Burkesville (across from Minit Mart, just before the stoplight; I love that I can say "the" stoplight and the directions remain perfectly effective).

I must admit, I am typically turned off, nay, disgusted, by, misspellings for the sake of grammatical or appearance alliteration. However, by the time I took my final picture and walked to the newly tired Elantra (advice: don't drive your car 30,000 miles without having the tires rotated and balanced) with deeply-hued strawberries, fresh mozzarella, ground cloves (which Houchens has been out of for about 3 months - no offense, Houchens, but it's the truth), a homemade fried apple pie, and real salt, I was singing a different tune....something reminiscent of the Blue Bell ice cream, "if you could take a rainbow," mix it with some ponies and butterflies, etc. jingle. That's how happy KKF made me.

In all seriousness, the owners (a local Minnonite family) are incredibly friendly and helpful (especially the absolutely adorable and personable 9- or 10-year-old young man who helped me check out), the fresh strawberries were fantastic, the wide variety of spices, wheats, granolas, and pastas was incredibly surprising, the meats and cheeses looked delicious, and the prices were very reasonable (in fact, much cheaper than I would have paid at Good Foods or Whole Foods in Lexington and probably equal to, if not cheaper than, local grocery stores). It's worth your time, trust me. I'll bet a red raspberry fried pie on it:)






3 comments:

  1. We have a Krispy Krunchy Chicken that is opening up in a gas station in front of Ramanda. The name drives Devin crazy-poor Krispy Krunchy made Devin's blacklist before it even opened it's doors. I remember riding home from Louisville after an 8th grade field trip and seeing a sign near E-town that read Kountry Kookin and it was written with sticks. I was caught off guard and read the sign loudly to everyone on the bus. Unfortunately, I read "Kanake Nookin-what is that!?! Ohhh..Country Cooking-that makes more sense." I preceded to laugh at myself for the next 5 miles. Bless my heart-not my brightest moment.
    I am quite excited about the Kountry Kitchen Store- I will most definitely check it out next time I am in town. I look forward to your post on Monday and will reflect this weekend on the delicious ambiguity in my own life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description makes me want to jump in the car and drive all the way to Burkesville just so I can check this store out for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsey - No joke, I was thinking about Kanake Nookin when I wrote the entry. I can still hear you saying it (for some reason it's right up there with funniest memories from childhood). When we end up opening our cafe, I think that's what we should call it.
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts:)

    Dema - You should come with Lindsey the next time she travels to Cumberland County! We'll hit up Kountry Kitchen, Tastee Freeze for a milkshake and then cruise town before parking at Browns Supply (just ask Lindsey):)

    ReplyDelete