Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Type "Tutu" 20 Times. Bet your monogrammed bloomers you type "Tuto" at least 15 of those.

When Leigh Ann and I were little, we enjoyed creative, hands-on projects (now, don't get me wrong, we also wasted plenty of time playing Donkey Kong and Duck Hunt...probably right after watching Growing Pains and Alf marathons). Regardless if it was a puff paint shirt, a bedazzled jean jacket, a Lightbrite flower design, an American Bandstand dance contest, a Rocker Barbie outfit, or a self-designed teacher's desk when playing "school," it was always obvious that Leigh's sense of style was a little more honed than mine (thus explanation for why I would let her dress me up as 80s rock icons; I probably would not have looked just like Madonna if left to my own devices). While my stuff tended to suggest a wild zombie had thrown them together, Leigh's seemed, well, not just normal, but really, really good. Bitch.

And the seeds of Bella Baby were sown.

I am so incredibly proud of my sister. While many people talk about starting their own business (I included), Leigh Ann has actually followed through. Not only is she one of the most nurturing and devoted mothers that I have ever been around, but she is also finding time in her busy days and nights to run a small-scale children's boutique. She just set up a webpage (Literally. I'm sure she will be adding things to it in the coming days) where you can see some of her projects: http://www.bellababybows.blogspot.com/. You can also contact her via Facebook or by way of her sister...the one sporting a fake beauty mark and the stretched tank top, skinny belts, and plastic multi-colored bracelets that Leigh Ann told her to wear.

It all started with a tutu.




_______________________________________________________
Leigh Ann is undoubtedly a product of her raising. Our mom, Jackie Turner, is one of the most resourceful, most crafty, most "put-together" people you could imagine. For the Bella Baby open house last Sunday, Mom just "threw together" 5 or 6 beautiful flower arrangements. Last night when she came to my house for dinner, she brought Lucy and Willie a handmade chew toy she created from an old placemat that she had unwoven and then braided. I am surely adopted.


_______________________________________________________
Zucchini Salsa (from the Taste of Home website)
Because I don't have a food processor, the prep time for this recipe was longer than expected. However, I still think this is a keeper. It has a kick to it, so if you prefer mild salsas, you might want to delete the jalapeno or the red pepper flakes. In place of ground mustard, I used a pickling spice mix. I also split the recipe in half (making approximately two pint jars).

Serves: 28 (Yields: 7 cups)
Cook Time: 45 minutes + chilling

Ingredients
5 cups shredded zucchini (about 5 medium)
4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
2 medium green peppers, chopped
1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 cup white vinegar
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 teaspoons ground mustard
2-1/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin, nutmeg and turmeric
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions
In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40-50 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with your favorite snack chips or grilled meats.

This just makes me laugh. Although my car looks like an entire circus has been traveling in it, I am typically super anal about my house, particularly my kitchen. I was both impressed with, and horrified by, the mess I made.

This post is getting too long so I will save my pickle recipe for Friday. Here's a look at the finished product though:

3 comments:

  1. I can not wait to check out Leigh's stuff and to talk to her about her new biz. I am so excited for her and very impressed!! And don't worry Liza, even though you are giving yourself little credit-you have the Nunn/Turner crafty gene too (hello...wood thingy from the creek)!! Just wondering, it's actually just a hypothetical... is it rude to ask someone to give you pickles for Christmas(in July)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really is doing such neat stuff! Definitely swing by the next time you're in CC. Haha...not rude at all, but maybe a little crazy. They may turn out to be some of the worst food ever canned. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are probably adopted. Or maybe Jackie made you out of some stuff she just had laying around.

    ReplyDelete