Monday, July 19, 2010

We Still Need A Chairman for the Beard Growing Contest

And, my long-held desire and well-intentioned scheme to make Burkesville a little more Stars Hollow-esque begins. ...

You might remember me mentioning Gilmore Girls on here before - the quality character development, the witty writing, the love stories of interest. I'm fairly certain, however, that when I have discussed in the past, I've neglected the one component that inspires viewers to care about individual characters, specific scripts, and the weekly plots (Ever type or say a word and it just looks or sounds wrong to you even though you know you spelled/said it correctly? "Plots" looks funny to me). I don't think I've ever really explored the sense of community in Stars Hollow, the fictitious town where these relationships are built and these smartly sarcastic conversations take place.

Because this is a t.v. show and because I know some of you are thinking "she does know this town doesn't exist, right?" I will keep my metaphorical and psychoanalytical explanations in check. I just want to briefly mention why I have said, since I started watching this series, "One day I want to live in a town just like this." In Stars Hollow, people attend town meetings where everything from the town troubadour to building permits for historic renovations is discussed. There is a town troubadour. People buy makeup and stationary at the local shops on the square. Diners used to be hardware stores. There are festivals every month. It always seems like fall. People walk when they need to get somewhere. There is a local theater (a projector in someone's house, comfy couches and a few chairs), a dance studio, and a used bookstore. There are entrepreneurs and dreamers just as there are mechanics and market owners. People are sarcastic and occasionally surly, but never mean. Characters don't have to leave the town to seem completely fulfilled.

When I attended the Burkesville Bicentennial organizational meeting last Friday, it felt a little like fall to me. I love that so many people, and people representing a wide swath of interests, professions, and ages, cared enough to come. I enjoyed the funny jabs at one another when discussing possible chairmen for the stagecoach, muzzleloading, and clogging committees. I appreciated that most people seemed to know me even though I haven't lived in Burkesville (full-time) since high school. I was reminded of all the talent and skill represented in our community. I got to talk about tasks and activities with Misty Dubre, a high school classmate - and the local Zumba instructor extraordinaire - in ways we haven't since 1998. I, with great pleasure, was forced to remember late summer nights watching people like Lori Melton, Carol Cary, and LaCosta Smith perform on the Cumberland Queen. I had and have the chance to help plan a festival.

I will have more information on this festival (which will be held in late October) as well as the Bluegrass Festival (mid-September) in the coming months. If anyone is interested, there is another Bicentennial meeting on Thursday at noon at JD's Restaurant (used to be the gas station at the intersection of 90 and south 61).
___________________________________________________
On Friday, I also came across a genuine Cumberland County gem. And by "came across," I mean I went in after Leigh Ann told me both who the owner was and why I should stop by; I believe it was something to the effect of "I know how you love to pilfer [or maybe it was piddle]"...both in fact quite accurate. Well, let me tell you, even if Freda Crawford wasn't family, I would still, without hesitation, go back to Main Street 210. This somewhat unassuming consignment and retail store in the Houchens complex is such a welcomed addition to the Cumberland County business community. The shop, which opened in July 2009, is much larger than the storefront suggests; Freda, and her sister, Robin, have tastefully decorated and arranged (there is plenty to look at, but also plenty of room to walk - a rarity in similar shops) five rooms with new, vintage, and consignment items. They have furniture (quirky, unique pieces, but very traditional cabinets, tables, and bookcases as well), a huge collection of dishes and china, home decor odds and ends, and jewelry and apparel accessories. Trust me, take the time to go in and explore...you'll like what you see.

Hours:
Wednesday-Friday: 10-6, Saturday: 9-2

Contact Information:
210 North Main Street
Burkesville, KY 42717
270-864-1653 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 270-864-1653 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Here's a few shots from inside the shop. The captions are taken from the transcript of the informal interview Freda was kind enough to grant me.
What was your motivation to open Main Street 210?
For about 15 years I have wanted to open a furniture consignment store just to offer our fine local citizens with some quality items with a cost that is affordable. Our mission is to give back to the community. Burkesville has been good to us.
How often to you get new stuff in?
We receive merchandise weekly.
What types of pieces are you typically looking for?
We look for items that people really can use, or as we say "needful" items..ha!
Do you allow local people to bring in stuff and you resale?
Yes, local people are our first concern. We just ask that items be clean and in good shape. We have advertised in Albany and Columbia. We love new consignors. Also, we would like to add that calling for an appointment to bring items in would be great.
Any other comments you'd like to include?
If anyone is looking for a particular item, we keep a running list of that, so when it comes it we give that person a call to see if it's the right fit.


2 comments:

  1. I too think it is a wonderful addition to Bville. Great merchandise, prices, and arranged so neatly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete